Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Birds: "Waltzing Starling Won't Mate with Hootchy-Kootchy" (2)

Observations About "Curious Creatures" Continues

Doug H. maintained a backyard chicken coop for many years

I occasionally find stray articles written by my father in a shoe box or filing cabinet and the one below is the second part (I think) of a series he submitted to the Norwich Gazette in 1989. (Part 1 was listed earlier on this site and a link to that article appears at the bottom of this page).

 
 

"gourd-type nests of the cliff swallow, made of mud..."*

*I find these nests each year under a bridge on my way to Port Bruce. GH

* * * * *

Part 2 of a related story of my own:

Dad passed away the following winter, after we'd enjoyed several more rides in the country, and when summer turned to fall I followed my nose to Hawk Cliff, east of Port Stanley, in order to see the migration of many large birds, chiefly raptors.

I went mainly because Hawk Cliff was a place my father and I enjoyed together and I wanted to connect with him. Like my father, I carried a camera or two in order to capture significant shots for posterity's sake. After parking my motorcycle I parked myself near the edge of the cliff with a good view of Lake Erie's north shore. I chose a shady spot beside a fence, sat down, leaned back against a post, unpacked a sandwich and thermos of coffee from my backpack, and waited.

I waited - and enjoyed 'the quiet' as other visitors to Hawk Cliff came and went. I waited as I ate lunch and half-hours passed. I waited as colourful hawks flew by and my thermos was drained. I waited while an hour or two passed and my desire to move along grew stronger. I waited (impatiently at times; I really don't like sitting still for long), I waited some more, and after about three hours I was rewarded... beyond expectation.

At first I saw only a large speck of a bird approaching me from the east. It was not over the lake but was following the cliff's edge. As it flew toward me it was not high in the sky but was almost even with where I was sitting. In fact, it seemed as if it was gliding effortlessly right at me. When it was 50 meters away I knew it was a bald eagle.

Of course, it was not the same bald eagle that had flown overhead my father and I a few months earlier. If I'd waited for that particular eagle I'd still be sitting at Hawk Cliff, wondering how to tell one eagle from another.

But it was a large, majestic bird, and it helped me recapture a moment Dad and I caught in a state of wonder, not many months earlier, while sitting silently and breathlessly inside a small Honda Civic.

I heard Dad say again, "I've never seen anything like that in my life!"

Worth the wait? 

Worth the wait.

* * * * *

A few related photos taken in and around London, Ont.

 Cedar Waxwings in my front yard

 Hairy Woodpecker in my backyard

 "Use the outhouse, then move along," I say.

 Young hawk is keeping his eye on me, inside the city

Near Springbank Park, London

Please link to "Birds: Curious creatures observed in Norwich" (1) by Doug Harrison

Photos GH

No comments: