Monday, July 14, 2008

Live Small and Prosper: Antarctica will melt on my 72nd birthday

According to a recent newspaper article by Gwynne Dyer carbon dioxide concentration will be so high by 2021 that “all the ice will probably melt: Greenland, Antarctica - the lot. And the sea level will go up by 70 - 80 metres.”.

Mr. Dyer bases his claim on the following information:

We are already at 387 parts per million for CO2 concentration.

CO2 concentration is rising at almost 3 ppm per year.

At that rate of increase CO2 will hit 426 ppm by the year 2021.


Antarctica will probably melt completely at 425 ppm.

I turn 72 in September, 2021 and it will be just my luck the festivities will be overshadowed by the sale of Antarctica’s last ice block on eBay.

Of course, our consumption might radically decline because of rising fuel costs, CO2 concentration might decline as well and my birthday bash will become front page news.

Cool.

2 comments:

Mojo said...

I was thinking of you this morning as I passed by the Starbuck's near my house. You know... the one with the drive-thru line wrapped all the way around the building. And I couldn't help thinking "There's just no way you can convince me that the drive-thru is faster than going inside." Just one more issue for me to have with Starbuck's I guess.

Anyway, assuming I'm still afloat in 2021 I'll invite you to the pool party we'll be having in May for my 61st. I'll be sure to give you plenty of notice though, since it's a long swim from London to Raleigh!

Nestor Family said...

I am looking forward with hope to your birthday being headline news!!!