Monday, December 1, 2008

Motorcycle Monday: Discovering Canada in One Pair of Pants Page 2

[Link to Page 1 for context]

My oldest son David makes a good cup of coffee and the smell of a fresh pot woke me up before 8 a.m. on the second day of a motorcycle trip to Algonquin Park and beyond in the summer of 2006.

After crawling slowly out of bed I slipped into my only jeans and hoped the day’s ride would go as smoothly as yesterday’s.

Though the first day had been windy, the big rolling clouds that filled the sky were a treat to behold and the weight of my camping gear kept the bike steady.

The day had ended well too.

My hosts and I watched Anthony Hopkins pee on his lemon tree in an entertaining motorcycle movie, The World’s Fastest Indian, after eating a feast from the barbeque, fishing from the dock and playing a fast-paced game of soccer governed by grandson Jack’s rules.

No wonder, while sipping my second cup of Dave’s coffee on a balcony overlooking the Trent-Severn waterway near Sturgeon Lake, I wrote ‘slept like a rock’ in my journal.


After strapping a bag to the back of the Suzuki and saying good-bye I rode south and east out of the Kawartha Lakes district, looking forward to passing through some unknown territory on my way to the more familiar Prince Edward County and beautiful Sandbanks Provincial Park.

With everything I needed for nine days packed on the small bike and a tank full of gas I cruised comfortably at 90 kph. and felt at peace with the world as the landscape rolled by like a National Film Board documentary produced for my eyes only.


Why I turned left instead of right at highway 10, my route to Port Hope and the north shore of Lake Ontario I can’t recall.

It didn’t dawn on me I was on the wrong course until after my encounter with Ted, a fierce snapper that would have made me a very rich man, if I’d only been carrying a video camera.

Here’s a short version of the story:


Snapper leaves swamp, seeks girl friend (let’s call her Sally), turns to face interfering motorcyclist, then sees two Mack trucks rumbling his way, takes a stand.

Final score: Ted - 1; Macks - no score.

Next week: The long version, previously published.

.

2 comments:

bobbie said...

That is one tough looking snapping turtle!

G. Harrison said...

i would have turned back home, dejected, if he had been clobbered by the Mack trucks.

hope you tune in next week, bobbie, for the full story.

cheers,

gord