Monday, March 30, 2009

Firefighter Scorch and Burn Chili: Faint of heart? Back away slowly Part 1

Last Friday night’s poker game in the workshop was a big success for two reasons.

Everyone was up or down just a few rolls of pennies by the end of the evening and agreed we couldn’t have more fun for the money if we tried.

I mean, dinner out followed by a movie and popcorn costs a bundle these days. (Unless you leave your spouse at home and sneak your own candy and pop into the theater. But I'd never do that. Pat would want to come too).

As well, just before midnight we put the cards away and set the table for my all-new Firefighter Scorch and Burn Chili - and it was a hit.


Here are a few comments:

“Wow. Great. Whooee. What’s in this?”

“Now, that’s chili! I want the recipe.”

“You’re in the big leagues now, Gordie.”

Yup, my friends were blown away. One almost blew up.

“You OK, Dave?” I asked, as beads of sweat dropped off his nose.

He just nodded, took another napkin and repeatedly wiped his brow. But he kept eating and almost cleaned the pattern off his dish.

I’d never seen him sweat so much, not even during or after a hockey game. His forehead was so red I thought he'd catch on fire.

Even though I was feeling the heat I took the high five offered by another fellow who also makes ‘knock ‘em down’ chili.

Recipe, off the top of what’s left of my head, will follow tomorrow.

***

I should know this for future poker nights.

At what temperature does human hair spontaneously burst into flame?

.

4 comments:

Jane said...

Hope you had a big fan blowing resulting flammable air out the shop door!
Keep your hose nearby at all times in case of spontaneous combustion.
Chili & beer?
Yikes!

G. Harrison said...

Hi Hazel,

The chili was hot!!

Life in the shed is, dare I say, very manly at times.

Gord

Unknown said...

Whowee, sounds like you guys had a great time in the old shed. Me, I love hot chili, why make it if it's not blazing!

G. Harrison said...

i made so much chili i had to freeze the rest, after five days of feasting.

re next winter; i predict it will be warm in the shed on poker night.

cheers

gah