Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Workshop: "is it trash or treasure?'


It's a very good question: Is my latest find, a farmer's nut and bolt collection, trash or treasure? I think the answer is a bit complicated.


When I first spotted the box at The Restore (Adelaide and Commissioners), I didn't jump up and down. I merely scanned its contents to see if the $12 price tag could be recouped by using - as I've done in the past - the nuts, bolts and washers as birdhouse perches. Within 30 seconds I knew I could. I often pay $12 for a box of 100 nuts at Home Hardware. (Washers and bolts are 10 - 20 cents per unit as well, and I use a lot of them each year to decorate perches).

["The perch includes two nuts, 12 cents each"]

Bingo! Something else hit me. On my workshop to-do list is the following item: Shadow box for Miss So-and-so (to display small treasures, items of personal interest).

So, the answer to the question 'trash or treasure?' goes like this:

     The various nuts and bolts and fasteners
     will easily save me $40 in 2014  

     The box will definitely clean up very, very nicely
     with wood conditioner, stain, varnish - all items I
     have on hand in the shop. Patina = A1


     I can add lovely western cedar trim (already on
     hand) to all the cubbies

     Within two weeks I'll have a shadow box fit
     for the Smithsonian

     And, the box came with free corn!

["Nuts, bolts, washers, maple keys and corn!"]

Talk about yer treasure!

Link to The Workshop

Photos GH

No comments: