Sunday, September 20, 2020

Photos From Along The Way: March 2020

The COVID Shutdown, in its First Full Week

St. Patrick's Day, March 17, 2020


I had the green Blackfriars bridge to myself - briefly - on St. Paddy's Day

Introduction:

The COVID shutdown will be remembered by many people in different ways, and its first week will not be remembered as being at the same time on the calendar by everyone.

I recall being at the Downtown YMCA when I learned that we would not be allowed back into the building until further notice. What did that mean? I wondered. I soon found out from various media reports.

A few days later St. Patrick's Day was celebrated (March 17) but not in the usual way. Pubs were closed and festivities were likely almost non-existent for the majority of those who wanted to raise a glass of green beer and toast the Irish saint. But in my photo files (when I looked back at them a few days ago, on Sept. 17, six months after the day), I found quite a string of photographs of my one-man celebration, as part of a lengthy walk from my house to the University of Western Ontario.

Photos From Along the Way:














I sneak a wee dram when things are quiet on the bridge.




I brightened up the toast and the water turned green!


Hmmmm. I'm thinking about how good that tasted (Bushmills Irish Triple Distilled 12-year old whiskey)


Hmmmm. I feel it moving around in there...


Oh yeah. That was perfect : ) One more for the road?






Gord, minus the toque ; )


When I returned to my home turf I had an outdoor patio to myself. 


Not another poor soul in sight.


One more toast?


Yes, there was time for one more.


I walked as far as the entrance to Western's campus... very quiet there as well.



I noticed a noisier scene here on Sept. 17, and rising COVID cases
were announced on campus, on 2 - 3 consecutive days.
Another shutdown on its way?

As mentioned, approximately six months have passed since the initial shutdown (linked to COVID, as it related to my circumstances in London, Ontario, Canada), and I am willing to keep my head down for another six months if or when required by government decree.

To others I say, "Keep on keeping on, and stay safe and healthy."

More photographs and details related to The GREAT Canadian Comeback, and the Comeback Kid - still smilin' - will surely follow.

For more recent photos, please link to Photos From Along the Way: September 2020

Photos GH

No comments: