Monday, May 30, 2016

Steady as She Goes 3

This post, and others related to it, can be found at Gord's other blog "The GREAT Canadian Comeback". (Link is found at second bottom line).

Back from Vancouver Island, and as Steady as Ever

"May 15. Cold day in Greenway Pk. Snow fell during the return trip"

I thought I would lose a step or two (in progress re The GREAT Canadian Comeback) due to a ten-day trip to the Comox Valley, Vancouver Island but I was wrong. I returned as fit as a fiddle.

While staying in Courtenay, without a car or bicycle of my own, I walked to each and every appointment and centre of interest but one. I walked to museums, libraries, beaches (related to my dad's navy days), grocery stores, restaurants, pubs, etc. To my farthest destination - Kye Bay, near Comox Airport - I cycled. From May 15 - 21 I covered 38.5 miles and I was ready for every step.

 "I flew out on the 16th to shorts and T-shirt weather. Good walkn"


When I returned to London I immediately focussed on preparations for a birdhouse sale, my neglected motorcycle and a messy workshop. So, during the last full week of May I recorded the lowest number of walking miles in 2016. 

"Oh yeah, I was JOGN smoothly a couple of times, within my limits"

But I didn't lose a step. My weekly average of walks and miles might be lower in May than earlier months but I may be closer to JOGN than at anytime in the last 11 years. Why, a couple of times yesterday, while completing a 7-mile walk-a-shuffle, I caught myself shifting gears from SHUFFLN to JOGN with ease. Steady Eddie is on the move, I thought.

That being said, I have the time to progress slowly and gradually and I will take the time to do so. Today I will walk easy and think about a specific goal, i.e., running a five Km roadrace in the fall, slow and easy-like, of course.

I really do need to sign up for an easy event - I'm running low on T-shirts.

Please link to Steady as She Goes 2

Photos by GH

No comments: