Thursday, December 15, 2016

Transition Zone Squared (9).

Habit, Miles and Limits. And Blackfriars Bridge.

One of my popular routes.

I have been walking solid distances regularly for over two years, without much let up, and keeping colourful records re progress (e.g., miles per week, number of jogs, GOTD scores, aka 'get out the door' rate) so that when I'm 90 years old I'll have something to show my two sons - they'll be in their mid- to late-60s - about how to stay active without breaking any bones.... or even the bank. 

The habit of walking about 3 - 4 miles per day developed quickly a couple of years ago. (Colourful record keeping began 14 months ago). I had to remind myself to fit some exercise into my daily routine for the first month or so, and now I find it very easy to sense the right time of day to put on my walking shoes and GOTD. After lunch or supper usually works for me. 

"By the Numbers" also works for me.

This week by the numbers:

     I have walked 5.5 (miles), 4, 4, and 3 from Sun. - Wed.

     I have walked 16.5 miles so far. Weekly goal is about 25.

     I am currently completing a set of 120 walks entitled Transition
     Zone Squared (TZ2). This week I've checked off TZ26 - TZ29.



Yesterday I walked 2 miles and played a pick up hockey game, so I recorded 3 miles total for the day. Not bad for an old geezer, eh? And I always record distances in miles because I was born in 1949. Marathons are 26.2 miles and I generally finish one per week, thereabouts. (FYI - Steaks, coffee and butter are always in pounds. Speed is in MPH. My Imperial brain won't think otherwise).

Four miles per day is within my limits and finding a good scenic path in the City of London is not hard. My most popular daytime routes take me along the Thames R. and at night I stick to well-lit streets.

Habit. Check.

Four miles. Check.

Within my limits. Check.

Scenic routes. Check.

Staying positive. Check.


Photos GH

No comments: