Tuesday, January 7, 2020

"Needs Job to Eat, But Art is His Love" by Suzanne Hanson

Kim Douglas Harrison, Local Artist (Norwich Gazette, circa 1981)

Kim is a wee bit older now but still has many projects underway.
Photo Credit - The Norwich Gazette

While looking for Part 2 of a story (chiefly about bluebirds) by Doug Harrison, regular contributor to The Norwich Gazette in the 1980s and '90s, I came across this story by Ms. S. Hanson about my younger brother. I'm glad I found it. Now I know he did better at university than I did (but I became a teacher before he did).

Caption with above photograph:



Kim retired to a certain degree from being a full-time artist and art instructor just a few years ago but likely has a longer list of projects to start/complete than ever. More than me, I suspect, but I retired before he did : )

Kim, laughing at how I flip burgers over my head and onto the bun. 

In my spare time I will try to set up a proper photographic table so that I can stitch other Gazette columns together in a more professional manner. (But don't hold yer breath).


Unattributed Photos GH

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This article was a real blast from the past. As the author of the article about artist Kim Harrison, it was a pleasure to read the story again and to know what Kim is up to today. My job as editor of the Gazette seems like a lifetime away now. It was definitely one of my favourite jobs.
Suzanne (Hanson) Stoop

G. Harrison said...

Thank you for your comment, Suzanne. There were items you mentioned I did not know about my brother, i.e., re some of his part-time work. He is certainly still driven or passionate about his portrait and landscape oil painting and keeps a pretty active schedule. Good for him, I say.

Rusty said...

I came across one of his paintings auctioned at Waddingtons in December 2021. Gorgeous work and very fine drawing technique. Wish him all the best

https://www.waddingtons.ca/auction/discovery-art-dec-02-2021/gallery/lot/145/

G. Harrison said...

Thank you for your comment, Rusty. Kim D. H. is still enjoying semi-retirement, though always has something on the go, re painting. GH