Monday, February 27, 2012

It Strikes Me Funny: “Oh, that shirt looks nice on you”


It came as no surprise, that an hour or so before going to our friends’ house for supper on Saturday night, my wife presented me with a new shirt.

She knows I don’t often make the effort to buy new clothes because - not that I don’t appreciate them - new duds are far down on my list of needs or priorities in life.

In the late 1960s, early 1970s, I was a very impulsive shopper, especially related to clothes. They make the man, I thought. And the shopping habit makes one poor as well, I slowly learned.

‘Live small and prosper’ is now my motto and my ‘saving habit’ is now much stronger than my ‘spending habit’. (E.g., in the last year I’ve saved enough to train across Canada in ‘The Canadian Train’, from Toronto to Vancouver, in an upper berth, all meals included. And I’ll look pretty snappy in my used jeans and T-shirts).

However, when my wife buys me a new shirt, to make her man, I won’t turn it down, especially if it’s plaid - my favourite colour.

[Photo by GH]

***

Please click here for more It Strikes Me Funny

.

No comments: