Sunday, February 5, 2012

Rare Family Photos PT 2: Susie can still dance ‘The Pony’

[“Last week, after finishing the second edit of a book about my father’s ‘navy days’, I looked at a small pile of related black and white photos from the early 1940s and thought the following deep and rewarding thought: I should send any photos of Chuck Rose to his family. They might appreciate them.” G.H., Feb. 3, Rare family Photos]

There are 17 Roses listed in the online Niagara Falls white pages, and after talking to a few strangers (about a handful of old photos I wanted to give to Chuck Rose or his family), my patience was rewarded.

“Good morning,” I said. “My name is Gord Harrison from London, and I’m trying to locate Chuck Rose, or someone related to Chuck,” I began.

“Hello,” said a woman with a clear, strong voice. “I’m related to Chuck. I’m his wife.”

I had located Pauline Rose (now age 89), and she was delighted to hear from me. Fortunately, I was sitting down.


I quickly composed myself and described the photos in more detail, including my favourite of Chuck and Pauline beside my family’s picket fence in Norwich.

She told me she remembered my parents and the visits fondly, that Chuck had passed away 17 years ago, that David had passed away too, that Susie now lives in Aurora and visits her often, and that I sounded just like my father.

I let her know that both of my parents had passed away some years ago too, that Chuck was mentioned in several places in my dad’s naval memoirs and appeared in several group photos.

After the rewarding conversation ended I mailed off the black and whites and included more family news along with my email address.

Susie has since been in touch. In an email she says the photos arrived safely, goes on at length about her career as a fitness instructor, cottage in Parry Sound, and wonders if I remember the dance moves she showed me.

No. Sorry about that last one. ‘The Pony’ is long forgotten, but thanks to a few old photos, the Harrison and Rose family connection is alive once again. That actually makes my day.

Because she and her husband (a retired teacher, as am I) live next to a highway my wife and I frequent on our regular visits to Fenelon Falls, our two families should be able to meet at least once a year to strengthen the bonds that our parents formed so many years ago.

That’s quite the gift to enjoy, is it not?

[Photo of an old photo by GH]

***

Please click here to read Rare Family Photos PT 1: Susie could dance ‘The Pony.’

.

No comments: