Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fun and Fitness: “Walking with birds on my mind!”


Though I faithfully ride my recumbent exercise bike 110 miles (or, for 7 - 8 hours) per week on average, and enjoy reading while the miles pass by, it dawned on me recently that spring is coming and I should head outside and walk a few miles per week as well.

I can’t be exact at the moment, but it takes me about 15 minutes to walk one mile and not far from my house a walking and biking trail exists that leads be throughout the city.

I spotted nests of mud under a bridge downtown and shortly thereafter noticed a purse-shaped nest in Harris Park. If you’d like to hazard a guess as to who made it, let me know.


Outside of a shop in Wortley Village, about 6 minutes from my front door (Let’s see; that’s about one-third of a mile from home.), I saw a lovely tin-roofed birdhouse sitting in a patch of ivy and myrtle. It may provide inspiration for another round of birdhouse building.

If so, you’ll be the first to know, as usual.

[Photos by G.Harrison]

***

Are you feeling the urge to get outside and walk a few miles this week? I recommend the walk/bike path through Harris Park.

Please click here for more Fun and Fitness.

.

No comments: