Saturday, April 7, 2012

Vancouver Island or Bust PT 4: “Cheeseburger en sauce abricot”


[“My itinerary is full, and not overflowing, and I feel it’s a wise move on my part to keep things that way. After all, I want to be in a relaxed mood while drinking in fresh scenery, flavours and experiences. I want to walk, not run, upon new pathways I encounter.” April 5, Vancouver Island or Bust PT 3, April 5]

I leave for Vancouver Island in two weeks from today. Excitement runs high. Items from my itinerary are racing through my mind.

After four days of very civilized train travel (I already know that every meal, e.g., my first supper, d'épaisseur côtelettes d'agneau en sauce abricot (i.e., thick lamb chops in apricot sauce, to the uninitiated), will be served on expensive, imported fine china. Very civilized, I say!) I will arrive in the city of Vancouver, British Columbia and quickly embark upon the short journey, by bus and ferry, to Vancouver island and the city of Victoria.

I say ‘quickly embark’ because I have a full itinerary and need to make every hour count... in a relaxed fashion, of course. I cannot rush about after four days of eating lamb chops and delectable desserts and drinking costly fine wines.

Once in Victoria on Wednesday, April 25 I’ll need to journey downtown to my hostel, then settle in, then rent a bicycle, then explore the harbour by bike path and take the first of several hundred photographs of new sights. Later I’ll have supper (enough with d'épaisseur côtelettes d'agneau; I’ll be looking for a cheeseburger and a cold IPA) at a ‘mom and pop’ diner, then turn in early so I’ll feel as fresh as a daisy for my next day’s ride to the Esquimalt Naval Museum to meet the curator and study, up close and very personal, a very important navy artifact. (Please read Vancouver Island or Bust PT 3 for more details).


[“Aerial photo of Esquimalt Naval base”: Courtesy photo link]

On Thursday afternoon, likely after a full Esquimalt Naval base tour and before I settle in at Spinnakers Brew Pub for a fine meal and serious note taking, I’ll pedal on down to a car rental agency to reserve a car for 11 a.m., the next day, i.e., Friday, April 27, the day I leave Victoria to go to Courtenay, a town two hours up the eastern coast of the island.

I’m sure it will be a spectacular drive but I’ll stay focussed on my 2 p.m. appointment at the Courtenay Museum. There will be a couple of very important people waiting for me there.

More to follow.

[Photo at top of page by GHarrison]

***

Please click here to read Vancouver Island or Bust PT 3: “My itinerary is full the way I like it.”

.

No comments: