Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Vancouver Island or Bust PT 5: Maritime Museum of British Columbia

[“I have a full itinerary and need to make every hour count... in a relaxed fashion, of course. I cannot rush about after four days of eating lamb chops and delectable desserts and drinking fine wines.” April 7, Vancouver Island or Bust PT 4]

I have some questions for you, including a tricky one re the purchase of hardware in Victoria, B.C. But first, more about me... and my upcoming trip to Vancouver Island.

For certain I’ll keep myself busy, at a relaxed pace, while in Victoria, B.C. I’ll rent a bicycle, tour the Esquimalt Naval Base and Museum, and take at least a gazillion photos of artifacts and the nearby harbour without breaking a sweat.

I’ll also somehow find time to tour the second floor of the Maritime Museum of British Columbia, on which are displays relating to the British Royal Navy and more importantly, in my mind at least, the Royal Canadian Navy. Luckily, the Maritime Museum is mere steps from where I am staying in Victoria, no more than a block and a half away from the front door of my home away from home.


[Maritime Museum of BC, in Victoria: photo link]

As well, if time allows, I’ll take a bicycle tour recommended by a local reader of my weekly column. D. Clarke’s interesting description follows:

“Take a drive along Dallas Road and Marine Drive. Admire the views across the Strait at Clover Point. If it's a bit windy you'll see some interesting kites being flown. Oh yes, there really is a lovely view across the Strait. While there, drive a short distance to the Oak Bay Cemetery and see if you can find the grave of Emily Carr. Stop for supplies at the Fairway Shopping Centre (across from the cemetery) and be sure to drop into the Hardware store beside the market.”

(Q: Are nails on sale for a penny farthing? Mr. Clarke doesn’t explain why I should go to the hardware store. Any ideas?)

“Continue along the waterfront to see some spectacular homes built into the side of the mountain. There's a fantastic view from atop Walbran Park, if you can find your way up to the cairn to read its very interesting message.”

(Q: What’s the message? “Don’t look down.” (?) Too late.)

“Be sure to stop at the Oak Bay Marina (killer whale statue in front), and enjoy a coffee inside the glassed-in cafe or outside on the patio with sounds and sights of the dozens of sailboats at anchor. If you have time, visit the village of Oak Bay near the Marina. (The "Blethering Place" serves very good fare at reasonable prices). Return to Beach Drive and carry on to Cattle Point for another view, and be sure to read the politically incorrect signage at both he Marina and at Cattle Point, so named because...(a plaque will explain why it is so named).


[The Blethering Place; photo link]

(Q: How much will I pay for a cold IPA at The Blethering Place? You know this bletherer has to drop in, don’t you?)

“What I have mentioned, with the exception of the museum visits, will take but a couple of hours.”

(Q: Does that sound about right, minus the time to sip one IPA?)

I think time spent in Victoria will be very rewarding indeed.

***

Please click here to read Vancouver Island or Bust PT 4: “Cheeseburger en sauce abricot”

.

No comments: