Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Dad's Navy Days: August 1943 - Malta (9)

On some maps Malta appears as a tiny speck of an island south of Sicily and The Narrows. But to about 250 Canadian Navy men, seventy years ago this month, it was a significant and safe place for a much-needed break from their hard work - associated with the occupation of Sicily - before returning north for the September invasion of Italy with Allied forces.

["It was a significant, safe place" in August, 1943;
Map from pg. xi, SIEGE: MALTA 1940 - 1943]

Malta was a place for rest, handfuls of pills, recuperation, mail call, ship and landing craft repair, and heartier meals than had been served during the capture of Sicily in the previous month. It was also a place for the Navy men - many in charge of battered landing crafts - to think about what was coming up next.

In the reminiscences of a Canadian LCM Flotilla Engineer Officer I find the following details:

     While in Malta several cases of malaria, sand-fly fever
     and desert sores developed. Some were cured in time
     to sail with us and those that had to remain were sincerely
     disappointed for after the fall of Sicily it was quite easy to
     guess our next move would to be into Italy itself and they
     wanted to be in on the mainland job.
     [pg. 98, COMBINED OPERATIONS by Clayton Marks, London]  

My father was one of many men placed on a 'rest and handfuls of pills' regimen because of dysentery, and in the early 1990s he wrote a newspaper article about his time in Malta. Apparently, the invasion of Italy did not dominate his thoughts.

Part of the article follows:

Food, sustenance and mail were found on Malta

     At the end of the Sicilian campaign several Canadian
     sailors and officers became ill. Fatigue brought on by
     long hours of work and poor nourishment for over a
     month had now taken its toll and showed up in various
     ways. Salt water sores, rashes, sunburn, dysentery,
     things we hadn’t time to bother with before now began
     to manifest themselves.

     Fear was now gone and the inaction caused many to
     have letdowns. Many had not relaxed for weeks and
     now that it was over they had difficulty handling it.
     Mail from home would have helped at a time like this;
     most of us hadn’t had mail since April and it was now
     the middle of August. I would have given my right arm
     for a cool drink of Norwich water and Sweet Caporal
     cigarettes from the Women’s War league.
     [The Norwich Gazette, circa 1992]

Water from his hometown, a free smoke and mail. All father wanted were a few simple pleasures but his wishes were quickly pushed aside after getting orders from a ship's doctor to report to Hill 10 Hospital. Dysentery was taking its toll.

Father continues: 

     Malta isn’t very large and by asking a few natives I 
     found my way to the hospital, dragged right out.
     I wandered in and reported my condition to one of
     the English orderlies. I’ll never forget how cheerful
     his reply was in that Godforsaken place. 

     “Oh, we’ll soon cure that, Canada.”
     “Yeah? How?” I said.
     “We’ll starve you for a week.”
     (So, what else was new?)

     But I was in no condition to argue and for a few days
     I found out how severe dysentery can be, and hunger
     was no stranger to me, but after four or five days the
     staff relented and gave me a little boiled cabbage.
     Here was FOOD and SUSTENANCE  and I suffered very
     few side affects. I was on my way, even my ribs looked
     better.

["Malta was called 'George Cross Island'
by many who stopped there"]

     After about 10 days I was given a clean bill of health and
     released to wander freely about Malta and wait for my
     comrades who were late coming from Sicily in landing craft.
     I found a vacant array of Air Force tents to sleep in and
     was fortunate to scrounge some food from the natives.
     I thought I had it tough - but I couldn’t hold a candle to
     these folks. I investigated a bit of the catacombs where
     many slept and lived through the intense bombing raids -
     no wonder the island was awarded the George Cross.

Though father didn't get to enjoy a glass of Norwich water for a few more months, he did eventually get his Sweet Caps and mail. All the while preparations for the invasion of Italy took place around him. But did he take much notice?

["Doug Harrison on leave, circa 1943"]

More to follow.

***

Please click here to read Dad's Navy Days: August 1943 - Malta (8)

No comments: