Thursday, August 1, 2013

the shop: the $7 birdhouse

I heard someone on my back deck the other day while sipping coffee in front of my computer. I looked out the window and remembered a small detail, i.e., a man was going to come by with lumber some morning this week.

[" ...isn't that the oddest thing... "]

And he did. The man dropped off several intact fence boards and an armload of scrap, along with a model of one of his birdhouses. I gave it a look, and gave it a thumbs up.

(During a long chat he told this story: His neighbour one day dropped by his house with a gift, and it just happened to be a birdhouse purchased from me. He said, "I like the birdhouse but isn't that the oddest thing, to give somebody who makes a lot of birdhouses another birdhouse?"

I gave his birdhouse, now hanging from my clothesline another look, and kept my mouth shut.)

["Dusty times ahead in the shop"]

Yesterday I looked at the man's birdhouse again. I looked at a selection of his lumber again. And two thoughts instantly sprang to mind. Birdhouses, 6 sides and a perch. $7.

Dusty times ahead.

Photos by GH  

***

Please click here to read the shop: yet another batch o' cabins

No comments: