Friday, August 23, 2013

The Workshop: Real whoppers (2)

When I saw three hand-carved fish decoys inside an antique store cabinet my mind turned to shadow boxes. The decoys tell a story, I said to myself. I felt I had to have them and - so intrigued by them I was - I almost paid for them without dickering.

The largest is now swimming inside a shadow box and facing off against an inexpensive, used lure. The other two will be located inside their own box by end of day. Perhaps they'll be joined by an old tin of fish hooks to add a bit more drama to their conversation.

["Decoys by Basil Secord, perhaps from Lake Simcoe, 1960s"]

"Be careful out there, Son." "I will, Ma. I've been watching Pa."


Or, based on a brief exchange I had with my own mother, circa 1965:

"Son, you're driving me crazy." "For you it won't be a long drive, Ma."

Photos by GH

***

Please click here to read Real whoppers (1)


No comments: