Saturday, March 22, 2014

WW2: Connecting w a Veteran 16

A week has gone by since my first visit with Lloyd and his wife and I'd like to plan another visit soon. I have a few more photos he might enjoy (and he might be able to fill in a few details re where exactly they were taken) and a book or two about Combined Operations he might like to borrow.

Lloyd answered my most recent email and I think a future visit will be warmly welcomed.

He writes:

It was nice to meet you and your wife and thank you so much. Thank you so much for the books I keep reading them and they bring back a lot of memories, I and a couple from Ottawa were the youngest there. That book you did for your father was VERY good. I will talk to my son about getting some of mine printed.

["Lloyd's memoirs are very similar to my father's, above"]

The officer in charge of Canadian Combined Ops in England was the deputy minister I was the messenger for when I first joined up and I was surprised to see him when we were on the ship going to England.

Hope to see you soon again.

Lloyd


I've enjoyed the emails going back and forth but face to face is so much more rewarding. Lloyd reminds me of my dad and his memories seem like pieces of Canadian history. I'll set up another visit after I get two other meetings completed; one with the wife of a veteran that appears in a few of Lloyd's photos; another with the children of a veteran who wrote about Combined Operations. More copies of their dad's book need to be printed, and I'm willing to help.

More to follow.


Photo by GH

No comments: