Wednesday, April 30, 2008

It Strikes Me Funny: Questions based on a glimmer of recognition

The third favourite question I am asked is, Do you know what you should write about? (I’ve got something for you.)

After six years as a weekly columnist with my picture in the paper I am still greatly surprised when anyone on the street or even another regular at the Roaster in Wortley Village connects me to a recent article, and am usually stuck for a reasonable answer to a reader’s offer of help.

My typical brilliant response: I take another sip of coffee, blink once or twice if it’s before 10 o’clock in the morning, fumble for a pen as if I’m lost without one and mumble something like, yeah, what are you thinking, or, really, or, thanks for the tip, good one.

My second favourite question: You’re that guy, right?

I love that one. And at my age (I’m at the beginning of a long, healthy, youthful stage of retirement called guaranteed freedom), since I can understand it’s hard to keep track of the names of everyone who has written a column that fits neatly into the bottom of a budgie cage, I simply answer, yup, that’s me.

Number two used to be my number one because it always makes me laugh inside.

As of last week, however, I now have an all new numero uno.

After a column concerning conservation measures was published I was asked the following: Do you believe in clotheslines?


I could have mentioned I always use one but said the first thing that popped into my head: You mean, as a higher power?

Good one, eh?

What would you have said?

[Visit another cartoon in progress by G. Harrison at Four Mugs]

1 comment:

LA Nickers said...

Guess that depends where you hang your clothesline . . .

Hilarious.

Blessings,
Linda

SIMPLY SNICKERS