Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Several unexpected benefits related to exploring my city Pt 1

For the past few weeks my weekly column has been about positive features in several of my city’s distinct neighbourhoods.

(Link to column at speed of hydro - side margin)

{Notice I didn’t say my hometown. I grew up in a small village 40 miles away that really only had two neighbourhoods. One was called downtown Norwich and the other went by the name Norwich. My dad said Uncle Dick lived in ‘the west end’ but that never became official or appeared on a map. In fact, a map was never needed in Norwich. If anyone got lost we’d just say, “You live right over there, in the green house behind the hedge”).

Thanks to emails from people who have invited me to visit their own I’ll be busy for the summer.

I don’t mind. The perks are adding up.

For example, I’m developing a cycling habit.

I don’t know about you (never did), but it takes me about 3 weeks to develop a new habit. (Juggling took 6 weeks because my wife enforced a hiatus after I broke a lamp in the living room). I’m now in my fourth week of city exploration and when I think ‘research’ I now think ‘bicycle.’

How many benefits relate to cycling?

Off the top of my little round head I don’t know for sure but I bet there’s at least a dozen, including sleek glutes. (Not that I’m bragging).

Another benefit - I have a pile of new ideas related to future columns.

Once I’ve explored my last neighbourhood I’ll begin my search for the city’s best chick pea salad, healthiest lunch or leanest menu.

No doubt some readers will be more interested in where to find the best cheeseburger but I can’t see our future being too rosy if we keep plugging beef, pork and chicken the way we do.

(I just read something recently about how quickly the North American diet can kill a person, especially landed immigrants. Our meals are more than menacing!)

Based on reader email, I’ll be visiting Old North next, which is connected to my own turf (The Village) by a bike path beside the River Thames.

Bonus.

Watch for a sleek-gluted cyclist wearing the sexy straw hat.

***

Have you dusted off your bicycle this summer?

Is there a better way to explore your city?

.

No comments: