Tuesday, March 1, 2011

It Strikes Me Funny: Seriously, I need serious funding

I recently wrote about London’s precipitous fall from its position as the 10th largest city in all of Canada.

Waterloo Region now has 141 more people that the London Area. Eleven in. Cachet out.

You’re just hearing this for the first time? Sit down. Grab a Kleenex.


["Wortley Village, London: Darn... it ain't Saskatoon!": photo GH]

Some say we should just get comfortable with the number 11. Waterloo is an hour from Toronto. Always will be. We should get over it.

Not me. I’m thinking ‘road trip.’

I mean, how did Waterloo sneak ahead? Surely there are people in Waterloo, and region, I can speak to about their secret to success, if there is such a thing. Surely there’s a nice pub there, a craft beer, and a person who will talk to me.

To facilitate the road trip I just sent a request for funding to City Hall.

Take a look. Does this sound okay?

From the Desk of Gord Harrison
Weekly Columnist, The Londoner

Official Request for Adequate Funding

For: A road trip to Waterloo to “see what it’s got that we don’t got”

Rationale: According to Stats Can, the Waterloo Region now has a population of 492,390 while the London Area comes in at 492, 249.

Our Mayor feels we need to grow, and I am willing to look into the matter.

In a recent article (Thursday, Feb. 24) I wrote:

“I’ll simply drive around looking for it, examine the city, take dozens of pictures from every angle (City Hall will get a good deal, don’t worry) and the trip will be a success... I have a nice meal. I come back.”

I know, it won’t be as simple as that. I’ll have to do much more, meet with a few people in the know. But I’m willing to do that in order to help out.

After a nice meal, I’ll come back, write another column about my progress. Maybe I’ll even consider going to Saskatoon, the fastest growing city in all of Canada.

Funding request: $50.00 - for gas, cheeseburgers, parking fees, one cold beverage, maybe two.

Comment: I think 50 bucks is a steal.

Sincerely,

Gord Harrison
The Londoner

Is 50 bucks too much to ask? Too little?

***

Please click here to read more about Deforest City’s dilemma.

.

No comments: