Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The During: An outdoor alcove is underway

‘The Before’ photos were pretty revealing: I have a very junky corner outside my study window. (I keep the blinds closed a lot).

Though the outdoor space is only 5 ft. 6 in. wide (not including the concrete sidewalk) and 12 ft. 8 in. long (approx. 70 sq. ft.), it can hold a lot of stuff.

My goal is to tidy up the space, then sit down and read a good book or have a snooze. The alcove is in shade all day long. I should at least be out there during the hottest days of the year, right?


I funkied up the fence at one end by changing the pattern of the boards from vertical and over-lapping (the common Fairmont style, I think) to horizontal, with quarter inch spacing - so that I can see you coming but you can’t see me. I also got rid of the old privacy lattice (it was so yesterday) and created a repeated diamond pattern with cut-offs.


Soon, I’ll be reading a book under the cooling and comforting arms of my baobab tree.


["I'll be able to see company coming!": photos by GH]

Well, maybe it’s a Red King maple, but I’ll at least be relaxing in my shady alcove.

***

Please click here to see ‘The Before’ photos.

.

2 comments:

Toyin O. said...

Very nice, I like your shady alcove.

G. Harrison said...

hi toyin,

more progress in the alcove to soon follow. thanks for visiting.