Thursday, July 7, 2011

Give a stumble-bum a camera...

...And eventually, he’ll stumble upon something really interesting.

At the time this actually happened I wasn’t lost. I was just snooping, really.

After a morning meeting I left a local historic site (in my opinion) and, camera in hand, walked about an interesting acre or two of ‘land that time forgot’ near the Westminster Ponds.


["One red poppy.": photos GH]

One red poppy upon a flag initially caught my eye. And a unique memorial (at least I thought it was a memorial) located near its base on the far side of a hill’s crest drew me to leave my car behind and hike through a field of unkempt grass for 150 meters or more.

“Lest we forget,” proclaimed the flag.


And when I read the engraved message that wrapped the upper course of the monument (yes, it was a monument) - Dedicated to the Men and Women who Served in the Navy, Army, Air Force and Merchant Navy - I realized I’d stumbled upon a significant site.


I saluted my late father and his Merchant Navy. I looked west, 200 meters or more, to the upper floor of Parkwood Hospital where he lived out the last months of his life.

I reckoned I was standing on special ground and vowed to oft return, stumble-bum that I am.

***

Please click here for more Zoom w a View.

.

No comments: