Friday, December 19, 2008

Can a Green Thumb be Inherited?

Yesterday I wrote that because my father had seven mouths to feed he became an excellent gardener out of necessity.

I don’t know enough about his own father and mother to say dad inherited a gardening gene - but I think it’s possible.

My oldest sister is an exceptional gardener and insists the ability was passed down.


While visiting her in Bracebridge on my last leg of a motorcycle trip in 2007 I saw her eating more fresh peas from her patch than she was gathering. My father often did exactly the same thing. (They both said you can’t eat just one).

I would likely do the same thing if I had a pea patch but I’m not a gardener. I’ve had a garden or two but I wasn’t devoted to them and I think they demand it, and some type of discipline, time and muscle.

However, I am willing to learn new things, especially if the alternative is to do without once the days of buying fruit and vegetables from California and Mexico (and beyond) are over.

The days of cheap food are coming to an end, and as a chip off the old block, I’m confident I can become a gardener out of necessity.

***

Can a person inherit a gardening gene? Did you?

.

3 comments:

bobbie said...

My mother certainly had a green thumb. I would like to think I have, but I have also been incredibly lucky to live in places where things do just grow easily. Two of my four children seem to have it. My son works hard and grows lots of veggies each summer. (It's the Italian genes more than mine.) My youngest daughter is wonderful with both veggies and flowers - but she lives in California, where everything grows in abundance. So, it's anyone's guess.

G. Harrison said...

hi bobbie,

thanks for your comment. it gives me more to think about.

it sounds like, if some have certain genes and live in a warm climate, they have an advantage related to gardening.

i do think some people are better at gardening than others because of something inherited. e.g. a talent. my younger brother is a gifted artist and my mother was as well.

i'm told i have some Spanish genes and can draw pretty well so my spring garden might turn out okay.

time will tell. or genes will tell. we'll see.

cheers,

gah

Anonymous said...

Funny, my husband got his moms green thumb. All he has to do is stand by the plant and that sucker will grow an inch. lol.

Me? I inherited my moms black thumb. Everything I look at shrivels. Oh well.