Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Lunch with Ollie: Why does he put a book on his head?

Grandson Ollie has been sitting beside me at lunchtime for almost a year now and I’ve noticed several interesting behaviours.

He talks in full sentences with a voice from the back of his throat, like a cartoon character.

Is he mimicking someone? Me?

[Ollie's first lunch with his grandparents, Feb. 2008]

He takes food off my plate when I’m watching, but it’s okay. I need to lose 5 pounds.

Today he read “Merry Christmas, Ollie” while eating (his food and mine) and at one point put the book over his head and eyes and held it there for several seconds.

Then he’d look at the picture very closely and put in over his head and eyes again, very gently.

Is he trying to get into the picture and be closer to the characters?

Showing affection?

Whatever he’s doing, it makes lunchtime a treat.

***

What do you think he's doing?

.

3 comments:

bobbie said...

I think you're right that he's trying to get himself into the picture. Children's imaginations are so wonderful.

Happy New Year!

earl said...

sounds like you got a defective one mate. Nothing a hammer can't fix I recon.

G. Harrison said...

Ollie is ten years old now, can read anything put in front of him and seems a natural with a guitar. I think when he gets into a book or project, he really gets right into it. Good kid, I say.