Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Workshop: “I’d better make more big ones”


Because I’ve been asked the same related questions on at least a dozen occasions (i.e., “Do you put seeds inside a birdhouse to attract birds?” “Where do seeds go on a birdhouse to attract birds?”), I recently designed a simple house and feeder combo.


I thought, it’s brilliant and should satisfy some folks who not only want to watch birds as they settle into a nest for a season but feed them as well.

Shortly thereafter I was asked another question. I.e., “I like the combo but do you have a larger feeder?”


Back at the old drawing board, rescued lumber and a few pen scratches came to the rescue. Two nights ago I added red paint to easy-to-reach flat surfaces and later applied white pine trim and linseed oil (w a titch of maple stain).


I think they look really good together and the feeder, once placed upon a portable stand, will be a fine addition to my back deck (or someone else’s) this winter.


Though I really like the combo idea, I’m going to make a few more big feeders before the snow flies. Oh, and double my order of mixed seed from Home Hardware!

[Photos by G. Harrison]

***

Please click here for another stop inside The Workshop.

.

No comments: