Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Workshop: "I'll have it ready by Tuesday, no problem"

I said thank-you to the caller, hung up the phone and began to feel nervous. Someone was coming over in an hour or two to visit the workshop and look at a few cedar birdhouses, tri-plexes in particular, and I realized, upon hanging up the phone, that I might be all out of them.

A quick look in the basement and workshop proved me right. The four I had made the previous week had been sold.

What can I do? I thought. Show the caller a few pictures? Show her the one my wife bamboozled me out of selling and has sitting on the porch?


["I'll just show off this lovely picture": photos by GH]

That sounded fine to me. But, to burn off some nervous energy, I cut and sanded pieces for two more tri-plexes and stacked enough materials on my work bench to make it look as if I knew what I was doing and that I could back up my usual line to anyone who need things done in a hurry, i.e., sure, sure, I can have it ready by Tuesday, no problem.




There, I’m feeling better now. (Today is Saturday, right?)

***

Please click here for another trip to The Workshop.

.

No comments: