Saturday, April 6, 2013

I nailed it!

I remember the moment well. I was holding a few small bits of wood together with one hand and lining up the brad nailer with the other. I pulled the trigger.

 ["Handle with care. Little bits can make a fine birdhouse"]

Stooosh. Compressed air rushed through the nailer. Shtunk. A thin nail, travelling almost at the speed of light, hit another nail inside one of the bits of wood and immediately turned left. Sting. I yelped and jerked my thumb back. Spurt. Bright red blood that I preferred to remain inside my body squirted from a painful thumb wound. (The thin brad nail had penetrated the top of my thumb and hit the back of my thumb nail).

"Stink!!" I cried.

Fortunately, I had a bottle of beer cooling off in a small pail of snow so I removed the bottle and stuck my hand into the pail, then finished nailing the bits together with my good hand. When the thumb stopped bleeding I bandaged the wound with dry wall paper and red duct tape.

["I now keep snowproof adhesive tape in the shop"]

Dr. Kindale, relax. The snow was 95% sterile, the duct tape was 95% waterproof, and now - here it is several days later - the thumb nail is no longer black and works at 95% efficiency. I don't think the medical profession could beat those results.

Photos by GH 

***

Watch out for blood spatter.

Please click here to read 'a contest I could win'

No comments: