Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The GREAT Canadian Comeback

I've Got the Time, So....

"Roller-bladers approach with arms swinging to and fro"

I enjoyed a very pleasant 5-mile walk yesterday on the Terry Fox Pathway. It generally follows the Thames River toward Springbank Park and I often see a few 'regulars', including walkers, roller-bladers, cyclists and troops of Canadian geese.

A couple of times I was tempted to break into a shuffle, which I did with success (for a short distance, e.g., 50 to 100 metres, every quarter mile on Sunday and Monday. But I resisted the temptation. I have the time to slowly and gradually build my base or foundation for longer-distance walking (aka hiking a longer way than I do now) or short- to long-distance running. So, I'm taking my time.

"After a walk-a-shuffle I add an S to my records, as above.
Oh yeah, I like keeping track of the details"

"I have the time, so take it," I say to myself regularly now. Why hurry back into better all-around fitness when I'm already enjoying and benefitting from each walk that I take? I know I'm already making a comeback, and from experience, I know that Rome wasn't built in a day.

Benefits associated with walking on a regular basis:

Photo credit - Your Body on Walking

Note what the poster above says about longevity: "75 minutes a week of brisk walking can add almost 2 years to your life."

I'm thinking, I'm already walking 75 minutes per day. Therefore, perhaps I can add 7 x 2 = 14 years to my life. Something more to think about while out on the Terry Fox Pathway : )

By the Numbers:

Yesterday I completed number 23 in a set of 90 walks that 'may' include a bit of shuffling.

I've averaged over 30 miles per week for the last 2 months.

I feel there is no need to increase my weekly average while increasing the amount of shuffling.

Time to save up $150 for new running shoes.

 Photos from along the way:


Hairy woodpecker gives me the once-over, one block from home"

Please link to GREAT Comeback - Starts with a Base 1

No comments: