Friday, January 2, 2009

Can we help bees and bats return to our gardens in 2009?

Can't help it.

I know it’s a wintery day but I’m thinking ‘summer’.

And about gardening, because more hard times may be coming in ‘09.

I’m also thinking about how to attract helpful pollinators, like bees and bats, to stay near my back yard.

I recently read about mason bee houses that are a collection of bamboo tubes, in which females lay their eggs.


I might try building a bee house because I have odd bits of bamboo in my shed.

And though my wife will object, I may also build a small (“Very small, Dear”) bat house to help these hard working creatures reside in my back yard.

My time’s up. Back to winter.

***

Do you help much-needed pollinators stay near your house? How so?

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bee house is soooo coool! I love bees.

I also love bats. Sitting outside on summer evenings knowing that their busy flapping above was shielding me from nasty mosquito bites was a delight. I even love their weird little bat faces.

I will be quite happy to put up a bat house (although I think they may have a nice little house of their own in our trees).

I suppose I love any creature as long as it doesn't invade my house and that is why we spend a small fortune feeding the birds and the squirrels in the winter.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Clevermonkey,

I hope things are going well in your neck of the woods, near Stratford and Camp Bimini (perhaps).

A friend gave me a few more bamboo pieces and I know how I can hold them in place. I've seen fewer bats in the last few years so I will attach a small bathouse to the back of my small shed.

More projects for my workshop - I'm happy about that.

Cheers,

GAH

Anonymous said...

I think the bamboo bee homes could be a big seller!

I live just outside the town (corner really) of Uniondale on Mennonite Road (Amish actually). Down the street from the two yellow buildings (the old cheese factory and the holistic centre).

I don't get out much, this time of year, but its great fun to ride my bike and visit all of my neighbours (goats, horses and donkeys) in the spring. As well as seeing the local children walk to the Amish school (my closest neighbour).

G. Harrison said...

hi clevermonkey,

I do ass through Uniondale once or twice per year on my way to Stratford (a great place to write, behind the festival theatre and near the river).

I enjoy passing through Harrington, then proceeding left at highway 6, past Camp Bimini (childhood fun!) and into Stratford. I encounter very little traffic along the way, perfect for motorcycling.

You live in beautiful countryside, to be sure!

Cheers,

Gord H.