Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Favourite used purchases have legs... and save money

I love my new used Levis ($15) because they fit me right off the rack and had the appropriate number of legs.

I won’t ask for more from the folks who stock the racks at Value Village.


["Another fav 'used' LP. Bob was more expensive."]

Recently, however, I did ask others what their favourite used purchase is, and got the following replies:

“My favorite used purchase is a barberry raincoat I picked up at a thrift store for $5! It's in excellent shape, fits perfectly and I didn't have to spend tons of money to replace my old one.” Jane at Gaston Studio

“Last winter I bought a NEW LL Bean wool cardigan for $8, in the catalog it's $79!” Joycee at granny mountain

“I am a big thrift store shopper. It's how I stock half of my store.” twinkelydots at 2009: A Year of Cleansing

“Everything I own is from a thrift store--Value-Village of ARC of Hennepin County. It would be pretty hard to to come up with one thing.” Kathleen, Easy For Me To Say

I sense some real enthusiasm here!

Funny, I've never felt the same about a new pair of jeans or TV.

Why is that?

***

Check out their sites; you might like hanging out with people of like mind as much as I do.

.

6 comments:

Joy Tilton said...

We are all trying to save a buck anymore, no matter how much you have in the bank! I find it invigorating to share my experiences of saving with anyone who will listen!

Kathleen said...

Gord--your blog is absolutely delightful. Thank you for the plug. I've written an essay about "us VV types" . . . needs some serious editing, but I may just post it! Thanks for the inspiration.

G. Harrison said...

Long live VV, and those who comb the aisles!

GAH

G. Harrison said...

Joycee, your earlier comment re getting a deal on a sweater reminded me of a sweatshirt story - posted today.

cheers,

GAH

Anonymous said...

If you ever venture south to Minnesota, check out Arc's Value Village stores in the Twin Cities. I think you'd like them as well as your stores in Canada.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Anonymous,

I might get that way someday; I'm reading about Route 66, own a lovely motorcycle, and like long rides.

Thanks for the tip, and visit.

GAH