Monday, October 3, 2011

Austerity Without Anxiety: “Cheap socks suit my cheap feet”

Sit down. Prepare to be shocked!


["Where did Gord get all these new socks?"]

Three years ago I survived - quite handily - a “Buy No New Clothing Year”. Back then I stared you right in the face, with my eyes all squinty-like, and said I wouldn’t even look at new clothes.

Except for one errant purchase I succeeded in my quest.

(My goof: I bought a $12 straw garden hat which I didn’t return when I caught my mistake; I put it in my closet, and haven’t worn it since because I found a used one to take its place. That’s not the shocking part. Sorry, I digress).

A second year went buy. I made but a few purchases of used clothing.

This year has been the same... until Saturday.


Hold onto your hats. I bought six pairs of new socks for $7.00 at Winners, prompted by the fact that socks I had once repaired were showing holes again.

Then I bought a new pair of shoes at The Bay ($91) to replace my old loafers. (One shoe has been leaking through the cracked sole for 2 - 3 years but both uppers still look good. I’ll polish them and just wear them now on dry days).

Why, if that’s not enough to knock you over... the last two weeks have been a very big time for me as far as “new” purchases are concerned.

Because I’m selling my motorcycle in the spring I bought a new bicycle ($399) from Herms Sports one week ago. And I’ll likely buy a new or used bike trailer - to hold my camping gear - sometime before next June. (Wee camping vacations to Paris, Zurich and Brussels are in my future. You’ll be the first to hear about them).

Gasp. I also bought new lumber ($70) from Home Depot about two weeks ago. I have a birdhouse sale in mid-October and my supply of rescued lumber is running low for the first time in 3 - 4 years.

Maybe I’m on an “excessive consumption” roll. Maybe the flood gates are now open and there’s no turning back!!


["Relax. Gord's feet are now sitting pretty": photos by GH]

Stay tuned.

***

Please click here for more Austerity Without Anxiety.

.

No comments: