Friday, October 7, 2011

Planning Ahead PT 2: “A bicycling and hockey history trip to Brussels”

[“Perhaps I’ll want to relive my glory days in baseball and revisit the grassy fields of Foldens, Oxford Centre, Holbrook and Mount Elgin...” G.Harrison, Oct. 3]

As the proud owner of a new bicycle I can safely say many bicycle miles lie ahead because the city of London, my current hometown, is surrounded by intriguing places to visit.

Paris is a short jaunt east of town. I’m told it’s beautiful. And I just have to get on Dundas St., or Highway 2, and pedal. And pedal some more, until I’m there.


Brussels (It’s quite famous. Known for its fine beers.) is 100 km. (approx.) north of London. I just have to remember to aim for Listowel and turn left at Newry. I look forward to the ride through some of the finest farmland in Ontario.

On my way to Brussels I’ll stop for lunch in Mitchell, then look for the local museum and brush up on the hockey stats of Howie Morenz, one of the region’s famous sons.

Did you know Howie Morenz was hockey’s first superstar?

Did you know he was born 21 June 1902 in Mitchell, Ontario and died 8 March 1937 in Montreal, Quebec?

Did you know the following:

“Howard William ‘Howie’ Morenz was known for his amazing speed and intense concentration. Dubbed ‘The Mitchell Meteor’ and ‘The Stratford Streak’, he played for the Mitchell Juveniles for the 1917-18 season and then in Stratford, Ontario for the next five years. In 1923, Morenz was offered a place on the Montreal Canadiens and, in his very first season there, he finished eighth in league scoring and helped the team win a Stanley Cup.


[Link to more info and photo at wikipedia.org]

No? You’re not alone. I knew he was from Mitchell, how to spell his name (almost) and link to an informative website.

If the good people of Brussels have no room for me I’ll bike a few miles farther to Wawanosh Conservation area and pitch my 1.5-man tent.


I have many miles to ride. I’d better get my tender hinder parts in gear!

More to follow.

***

Please click here for PT 1: “A bicycling and camping trip to Paris”

.

No comments: