Monday, October 3, 2011

Planning Ahead PT 1: “A bicycling and camping trip to Paris”

[“Wee camping vacations to Paris, Zurich and Brussels are in my future. You’ll be the first to hear about them.” G.Harrison, Oct. 3]

I let the cat out of the bag.

In an earlier post I mentioned I bought a new bicycle and am thinking about a wee trip to Paris.


["The '64 Raleigh isn't suitable for a trip to Paris."]

And why not? Paris - one of the most beautiful cities in the entire world, so I’m told - is less than 100 kilometres or 60 miles NEE of where I live, i.e., London, Ontario.


[All photos by G.Harrison]


["My high-performance hybrid will transport me in style."]

Of course, I’ll need to build up my cycling muscles this winter, 30 per cent of which reside in my tender hinder parts. I’ll also need to dust off my camping gear and look for a good new or used bicycling trailer.

There are so many plans to consider.

On my way home from Paris I may visit Washington or one of Ontario’s cultural hubs, Stratford-on-Avon. I may feel like a bit of history and visit my childhood homes in Norwich and Burgessville.


["Can you find Norwich, so close to Paris? Lower right corner."]

Perhaps I’ll want to relive my glory days in baseball and revisit the grassy fields of Foldens, Oxford Centre, Holbrook and Mount Elgin, and toss a walnut from first to second base to see if my right arm still has a bit of spring in it.

Many bicycle miles lie ahead, and I have plans to make.

***

Please click here for something related to The Simple Life.

.

No comments: