Sunday, June 7, 2009

A hockey player asks me, how green is my motorcycle?

It was a good question - from a guy we call Sid on a 50-plus squad.

[Not the real Sid. He’s tied up at the moment, and is too young to play for us anyway. And can you see the real Sid chipping in 12 bucks a week to play with guys who take three days to skate to one end of the rink and back? Didn’t think so].

While two of my teammates and I were chatting about motorcycles before a recent game another fellow said, “Gord, you write about the simple life, going green but drive a car and a motorcycle. How does that help the environment?”

I was ready with an answer because the same question is on my mind every time I start up my bike.

I told him I don't think any vehicles really help the environment.

Then I said, "I also have a 12-speed bicycle, that makes three things, but, in my opinion, I have a fairly limited use for each one."


["A Miele - one of my summer rides": photo GAH]

"The bicycle is for around Wortley Village and a bit beyond."

"The Honda Civic is, for the most part, used for important errands or family trips. After three and a half years it has around 40,000 km. on the odometer." (7,200 miles per year)

"It's essentially my wife’s car because she uses it 5 - 6 days per week. I drive it once per week to the hockey game, not much else."

Then I said (in a blatant attempt to secure more readers), “The last time I drove it more than 10 km. was last week. I drove to Whitehills (a neighbourhood in north-west London) to do research for a column, parked it under a tree, and walked 3 - 4 km. to buy some cherry tomato plants for the garden. In the summer, the motorcycle is my chief ride, and over the last five years I’ve averaged about 5,000 km. per year. All together, I think I drive a fair bit less than others (several guys agreed), and try to save up my travel miles for the motorcycle.”

The fellow who asked the earlier question seemed pretty satisfied I was doing my bit for the planet.

I hope he didn’t mind when I chipped a wrist shot off his helmet during the game.

***

Hey, I’m kidding about the shot off the head. (It was his knee).

Still kidding!

Are you consciously trying to keep your miles down low?

.

2 comments:

Giant Garden Games said...

Hi,

I see Your blog but you are not mention too much details about that you just paste out one picks and also so information but it is not sufficient so please update it,
Thanks

giant connect - 4

G. Harrison said...

Hi GGG,

I visited your site. Very good ideas.

Thanks for visiting mine.

I do not operate an online store because the price of shipping is more than a birdhouse or chair.

However, please enjoy the photos.

Gord H.