Monday, June 1, 2009

Free flotsam at Pt. Bruce pays my motorcycle’s gas bill

I always have my eye open for a deal.

In fact, my middle name should be ‘The man with one eye open.’

Gordon Arthur The man with one eye open Harrison. Totally appropriate.

While at Port Bruce yesterday I saw several pieces of wood thrown up on the beach that could be used in so many projects - if only I had a tractor, chains, winch, trailer, strong back and the time.


["Flotsam looked like a wing": photo GAH]

[I have the time, but, the other five items... no. And if I pick up free lumber wherever I see it I’d soon need to live on a 4,000 acre farm somewhere far from Wortley Village, and I can’t see myself moving too far from my favourite coffee shops. Sorry, I digress].

But, not wanting to leave without something for my workshop I picked up two pieces I knew I could use - and pick up without falling over.

One piece of flotsam looked like the wing of a bird and will become a birdhouse perch. Another will become perches as well, after I cut it in half, straight down the middle.

And when I sell the birdhouses, for big bucks, with a card that says ‘a touch of Pt. Bruce’, yesterday’s motorcycle ride will have been free.


["A touch of Pt. Bruce": photo GAH]

Except for the fries.

***

Picked up any flotsam lately? A bit of jetsam?

.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I like how you think!

G. Harrison said...

Thanks, Kathleen. I'm hesitant to throw anything out - it could fit somewhere on a birdhouse or other project.

A few fellows on my hockey team are going to supply me with broken hockey sticks - another idea for birdhouses from scrap lumber. Applications seem endless - and free!

Cheers,

Gord