Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Prose: backpack canoe, more than a trilogy part 2 - ‘first day out’

Backgrounder: “The first day in the canoes tired me out. I was so happy to reach dry land, set up the tent and eat supper. The bottle of brandy I brought, to mix with my evening tea, relaxed every muscle in my body.” gaharrison

first day out

... continued (please see previous post)

now, tents and tarps
next, collect dry wood
soon, our first fire warms
a weary crew and
lends a snapping orange light
to friendly faces
brandy in their tea.

supper on a Coleman stove
steam and rice and stew
open fire with wire racks
assembled pans, bubbling pots
for lean cuisine and cornish hens.
under yards of canvas
my simple chow, piping hot
in a metal bowl,
is a king’s delight.


[Photo GAH]

after five hours of
push and pull and carry
weary bodies relax
on stumps for chairs
and look at tomorrow’s plan -
take morning dips, tie towel lines
explore coves, sail canoes
write journals and read novels.
easy routines, short naps
and deep sleeps at end of day.

gah

.

No comments: