Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Morning Vignettes PT 2 at The Little Red Roaster

While my wife and I chatted over coffee and bagel this morning at The Roaster, I noticed a current copy of ‘the beat’ magazine atop a folded newspaper next to my elbow.

I picked it up, thumbed through pages starting at the back, and looked for ‘pegg’s world.’

Found it. This month’s story by Robert Pegg. In praise of Mr. Peanut. Photo of Mr. Peanut included.


[“Mr. Peanut rocks”: photo link here]

I read the first paragraph or two, then skipped to the last. The story sounded familiar, in a good way.

And it was. It contained material from a recent blog post I’d read a few days ago at ‘sonny drysdale presents.’ All excellent, entertaining and with a great conclusion.

And that’s what we look for in good writing, right? A snappy intro, a gripping middle and a great conclusion. (Someday I may even try that stuff myself).

Sonny writes about how he was able to win a bet with his son because of his superior knowledge re Mr. Peanut.

In spite of the great conclusion, it left me troubled.

Superior knowledge I admire.

But his own kid?

[End of Scene 2.]

***

Please read Morning Vignettes PT 1 for important context.

.

No comments: