Friday, August 5, 2011

The Workshop: I still can’t read or write

My wife would argue the point.

“You can read in the shaded area on the back deck,” she would say.

Sure, but the deck isn’t shaded all day like my new and improved alcove is, or will be, when I’m done with the previously mentioned “Turn a junky outdoor space into a shaded alcove for reading” project.


["I've only used rescued lumber so far. Recognize the cedar siding?"]

Now, many jobs are done and can be checked off my earlier list.

For example:

rescue old deck lumber from neighbour - check

tidy up junky space - half check

fix fence, make it funky - check (Oh, it’s funky, alright!)

dismantle old wooden garbage can container - check (parts will become a new and improved compost unit)

build storage unit for snow tires and two garbage cans from rescued lumber - half check (doors needed)

trim it up for more funkiness - half check


["I'll use the diamond motif in the cupboard doors too.": photos GH]

Yes, I still have to make cupboard doors, apply more funky trim, then sell or use ‘leftover stone under tarp’ and ‘tidy up all tools, sweep up brick alcove area, place two chairs and one small table in reclaimed space, sit down in shade, read a book, snooze if desired,’ but I’m getting there without stressing my limited limits where using power tools is concerned.

Yes, I still have all my fingers.

While sawing lumber outside the workshop I came across a very, very rare piece of wood that will serve as a lovely writing table for the reading alcove. So, I guess, some important notes and memos will be written soon, and - as per usual - you’ll be the first to know!

For now it’s a surprise, but wait ‘til you see the table top.

***

Please click here for past - though still exciting - news about the alcove, for context.

.

No comments: