Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Workshop: “Slow the pace. Get more done.”

Who first said ‘slow and steady wins the race’?

Was it a race-winning turtle? A tired rabbit who had learned his lesson? A dust-covered retired guy in his workshop after checking another project off his to-do list?

Whoever it was, they were right.

Sometimes ‘the hurrier I go the behinder I get’. (Who first said that? The cock-eyed grammar is hard to place.) But lately, I’ve just been taking my time, thinking and reflecting as I go, and more work seems to be getting checked off. I like it.


I’ll head outside after lunch and complete two 10-minute tasks, a warm up before starting heavier work. I.e., I’ll wipe a bit of linseed oil (w a titch of maple stain) onto the frame of my last cupboard door (the bottom one), and whilst I have the linseed oil out, wipe a smooth coat onto another piece of funky outdoor decor that is getting bleached by the sun. Twenty minutes, tops.


["Another Slab of Mulberry": photos by Dusty Jeans]

What I call “Another Slab of Mulberry” (“A Slab of Mulberry” appears on the front porch) will perk up a bit with its second coat of oil and my backyard neighbour will surely gain a new appreciation for the decor that cost me $18, not including tax.

If I take my time, I bet I’ll be finished in 15 minutes.

PS Those who know I primarily work with and write about rescued lumber may be surprised to learn I actually paid $18 for the mulberry. So am I! I bought two slabs when it was a dark shade of lime-green - I'd never seen anything like it before and the image of an outdoor table came to mind. The slabs became outdoor decor instead, my way of "showing it off."

***

Please click here to read more from The Workshop.

.

No comments: