Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Live Small and Prosper PT 3: “I love my three-wheeled truck”

[“Ford Talbotville, i.e., Ford of Canada St. Thomas assembly plant, closed a week ago. Hundreds of experienced workers lost jobs. I have a brilliant idea.” G. Harrison, 8:35 this morning]

If my wife agrees, and we sell our 2005 Civic and purchase a “Made in Canada” three-wheeled truck (with a 500cc motor, enclosed cab, windshield wipers, small bed in back for groceries), my first out-of-the city trip will be to Port Bruce.


["Time to visit Pt. Bruce... but how to get there?": photo GH]

I haven’t been there in over a month and the north shore of Lake Erie is beautiful in the fall. Plus, the Corner View Cafe serves up a pretty good cup of coffee, and if the tables are still set up outside, the chair closest to the T-intersection is the perfect spot to sit and think deep thoughts. (Sure, deep thoughts only pop up every once in awhile but I’m a patient man).


["I love it already!"]

I think our local and provincial governments should put their heads together and find a way to reopen the Ford Talbotville plant and manufacture small three-wheeled trucks. More and more people every year are transitioning to small vehicles, including scooters and bicycles, and as fuel prices continue to rise the need for a cheap, reliable, affordable machine will only become more apparent.

Let’s get ahead of the curve.

I’d buy a three-wheeled truck tomorrow (right after Pat gave me the nod).

Ford Talbotville could produce them.

And I’d like to eventually transition from a small truck to a three-wheeled bicycle (possibly enclosed) to save even more in fuel costs. Say in about 5 years.


[Click here for link to fun adult tricycles. Check out more adult tricycles here.]

I mean, I live in Wortley Village, most things I need are handy and I only pick up groceries and a bag of nails every once in a while. Okay, t-shirts and a few other clothing items come in handy, but downtown is an easy walk, bike or bus ride away.

Ford Talbotville is a huge place. I bet there are 101 useful, sustainable products that could be manufactured under its roof.

Any other things we could make right here in Canada, just minutes outside London?

***

Please click here to read Live Small and Prosper PT 2: “I love my three-wheeled truck.”

.

No comments: