Monday, September 5, 2011

The Workshop: It was time for a facelift


Where has my time gone this week?

The shed’s exterior of old barnboard, that once sported coats of conflicting paint and stain (because I cleaned my brushes by wiping them on its surface), is no more. White cedar tongue and groove has provided a fine facelift.


Two items once inside the workshop (or “The Shed”) now appear outside for all visitors to admire.


My dad, a merchant mariner and crew member on the troubled S.S. Silver Walnut in the 1940s, would nod his head at the small bronze plaque.


Finishing touches are underway. Yards of thin cedar strip are being applied as trim, custom trim.


["Lots of cedar trim required. Zip, zip. Watch the fingers!": photos GH]

Once I cover the exposed brick, apply the last of the trim, apply blue stain to the walls and red paint to the roof, door and window edges, the facelift will be complete. Then I can return to building a fine table for the outdoor reading alcove.

Because of the cool temperature this morning, I guess the alcove will be ready just in time for winter!!

***

Please click here for more from The Workshop.

.

No comments: