Monday, March 31, 2008

Monday Memoirs: I started out small but could grow hair with the best of them

[Please, write your own memoirs on Monday and let me know; they will provide others with something to talk about when you’re not there.]

I don’t remember the ride home from the hospital after I was born but my old birth certificate reads: Birthplace - Woodstock General Hospital. September 18, 1949. Canada.


[I was given this bracelet at Woodstock General so I wouldn't get mixed up with the Garrison twins]

My mother later told me that I was born on a Sunday, weighed over 8 pounds (still do) and was called Gorgeous George by the nurses (not any more) because I had a healthy head of thick hair (gone).

Once Mom, Dad and I got back to the house in Burgessville I was introduced to two older sisters and sent to my room. I was fed on a regular basis and developed a taste for homemade desserts after being fed mud pies by one of the girls.

At breakfast one morning I discovered I was rather witty.

“Eat your crusts,” I was told by Mother. “There are children in India who don’t even have that much.”

“If the children in India like crusts they can have them,” I replied cheerfully, and pushed them in her direction.

I was again sent to my room.

So I went to my blackboard and drew a picture of an Indian. As I recall it was almost an exact likeness to one on the back of a nickel. I was quite impressed.

My mother was also a talented artist and entered contests, a few of which she won. Our first TV was a prize Mother won by drawing the Blue Bonnet margarine girl. I saw her original picture and noticed it was much more detailed than my Indian. I worked hard to improve my artistic ability.


And I think I’m getting better.

[Read about the recent running exploits of The Crock at Four Mugs and a Crock]

No comments: