Thursday, March 13, 2008

Ronalee Ambrose MP threatened me with a jail term - momentarily

After snapping off a reply to the letter Ronalee sent me about the GST I figured two things would occur in fairly short order.

One, she would talk Prime Minister Stephen Harper into calling a snap election.

So far, that hasn’t happened, but the shoe could drop at any second.

Two, she’d write back in that snippy tone of hers and rake me over the coals.

Yesterday a second letter arrived, only an hour after my column about the first one appeared in print.

No guff, she had a document hand delivered to my door and on the outside was a picture of a guy that looked a lot like me (young, good looking, nice hair, scruffy beard, in his undershirt, smoking a ciggie, sipping a beer), with one word on the outside of the note that scared the wits out of me: Jail?


I thought, she’s threatening me with jail because I express an opinion about her beloved GST reduction that is contrary to her own?

That’s not fair. It might be legal as far as she's concerned but still - it's not fair!

Upon closer inspection I realized the picture wasn’t actually me (my hair is shorter and I quit smoking 5 years ago, characteristics Ronalee obviously missed in my file) and the rest of the document concerned matters related to a Conservative version of law and order in a nation where most stats related to crime are declining.

Still, I think this is harassment and because return mail to her office is free I’m going to tell her so.

No comments: