Friday, January 16, 2009

Deforest City Blues Pt 1: Our city’s bones are bad, getting worse

Once my bones get too weak to support my skin and muscles I’ll likely just fall to the ground.

I’ll be on my porch, whining:

“I can’t get up.”

“I should have paid attention, taken more calcium.”

And when Deforest City’s bones get too weak to support it’s skin and muscles it will fall to the ground as well. Maybe roll into the Thames River.

A week ago, in my column, I asked, “Is our infrastructure (roads, sewers, water lines etc.) in big trouble?”


I answered, “I’m sure it is” and mentioned several reasons for it’s sorry state.

This week my editor, Phil McLeod, elaborated with more proof - in numbers:

“Over the next ten years, as you might expect (certainly from consultants), the situation will only get worse unless London spends more money fixing its roads. Problem is, at the moment the annual budget for road repairs is about 50 per cent less than the $19.2 million said to be needed.” Jan. 14, The Londoner

Our bones are bad and getting worse.

***

Where will necessary money come from?

Can cities fail?

.

No comments: