Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It Strikes Me Funny: Consumers are questioning the real value of things

In today’s column I mention positive changes that some stores are making to attract customers in the new age of austerity.

I’m trying to shake my new collar, i.e., Mr. Doom and Gloom.


["Window shopping - incognito": GAH]

And if stores continue to become less cluttered, lower the price of many products, offer fewer choices and adjust to consumers who are questioning the real value of things, I might even go shopping.

At least window shopping for starters.

(I could use a good window).

.

2 comments:

Mojo said...

My dad used to say (as my mother reminds me constantly) that, "It doesn't cost that much more to go first class." And his point was that you can buy something once or you can replace it several times.

I agree with him most of the time. But that doesn't mean I'm going to buy Snap-On wrenches when Craftsman makes ones just as good with the same lifetime warranty for about a third of the cost.

Because sometimes it actually does cost that much more, and the return on that investment doesn't measure up.

But it's still fun to poke around the Snap-On truck just to see what they've got.

G. Harrison said...

Hi mojo,

I don't mind window shopping. I call it 'collecting information.'

I'm sure I must come across as a Luddite sometimes. Years ago I was a reckless or impulsive shopper. I think raising a family changed how I set my priorities.

But, I agree, it's still fun to poke around! Good line.

GAH