Saturday, January 31, 2009

Young at Heart: My apologies to all Boston Bruin fans

I was way out of line, but it’s not my fault.

Earlier this week I said I’d like to run another half- or full-marathon because, and I quote:

“Gordie Orr wants to play hockey for at least 10 more years.”

Any Bruin fan worth his salt, baked beans, blue fish or creme pie would take offense when I compared myself to the greatest player to ever pull a Boston jersey over his head - especially if he saw me play the game.

However, in my defense, while playing a recent game without my regular defense partner (the one who covers my butt when I’m out of position, which is often, and draws up chalk board diagrams on the bench between shifts to illustrate how I should actually play the game) I was forced to turn my game up a notch - and something dramatic happened.

Though outmanned on three or four stressful occasions within a short period of time, I somehow broke up pass plays, took players to the boards, stole pucks, and blocked shots (I get in people’s way really well) in such an impressive manner that another defenseman on my team hollered from the bench, “That’s Gordie Orr out there!! Gordie Orr!!”

[Exclamation points are mine]

Talk about a good laugh in the dressing room after the game.


[Gordie Orr I’m not: photo link]

Laughs like that will keep me playing for at least 10 more years.

.

2 comments:

Mojo said...

Oh Gord, don't go giving Bruins fans any more reasons to get the big-head. They've got enough of those this year already!

G. Harrison said...

Hi Mojo,

I'd wax poetic if the Leafs had their act together. But I fear I have a long wait.

Cheers,

GAH