Saturday, January 10, 2009

Dreaming, planning and gardening in a wee backyard

My oldest sister, Lannie, has heard about my plan to bang around the backyard in the spring in order to start a small, but ultimately victorious, Victory Garden.

Lannie sent a newsletter from Mark Cullen, a gardener and keeper of chickens, in which he said:

“As for the garden, well the good news is that there is less than 3 months before spring arrives and in the meantime we have lots to do. Like read and dream about the great garden that you will have in ‘09.”

["At home, dreaming and planning for spring": photo GAH]

“Dreaming and planning are no small tasks – and every bit as vital to the long term health and performance of your garden as weeding and watering. Take your time with this – make notes of good design and garden techniques as you encounter them.”

Good on you, Mark, I say.

Dreaming? Check. (I dream of vegetables fresh from my wee plot).

Planning? Check. (I have plans for a mason bee house and bat cave).

I’d better sharpen my old spade. Spring’s a-comin’.

.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Gord - I wander over here every now and again when I'm visiting Theresa at Myriad Things. Anyway, I just saw your comment on her post about seeds. I've had a veggie garden for a few years and just want to say...if I can do it, anyone can do it. Especially zucchini - you can't kill it. Good luck and have fun with it!

G. Harrison said...

Thanks for your visit and the encouragement, Liz.

My motivation level is rising, and I bet there are other plants, like zucchini, that will grow almost in spite of my meager efforts.

Cheers,

Gord H.