Thursday, September 9, 2010

In The Workshop: How many birdhouses does it take to...

...Fill a workshop?

I’m thinking about 2,500 in my case.

But then I’d have no place to work.

As many of you know, I build a lot of bird houses out of rescued lumber and the hobby keeps me pretty busy at times.

How many have I built?

I have no idea.


["Two of six Rietveld chairs - 33.33% - are around the fire pit."]

I met a man in August who showed me the 2,309th birdhouse of his short career and I’m nowhere near that many.


["5 of 6 birdhouses - 83.33% - still need to be sanded."]

Now, I have pictures of most of my creations stored on my computer, so I could find out if someone from National Geographic came knocking. It would maybe take two hours of my precious time, but if I was the headliner or on the front cover then I’m sure it would be worth my while.

(For the cover, I’d smile sweetly and put on a clean shirt. I wouldn’t want to be seen in the shed clothes I have on right now - unless I was just heading over to the corner of Coffee and Hardware for a refill and a bag of nails).


["This birdhouse is 100% ready for 7 pieces of trim.": photos GH]

For now, however, I won’t keep close track. I don’t want to turn into some kind of statistician.

I’m mean, since I started keeping records in 1985, I’ve learned that 19 out of 20 of my closest relatives are just like that already.

.

No comments: