Thursday, September 9, 2010

It Strikes Me Funny: Papa’s got a brand new roof (almost)

Metal or shingle? 20-year or 40? What colour?

Hold on, I’m still thinking.

But what I know is this:

The roof on my house was last replaced in 1995

Colour - gray. I could live with that. It fit my mood when I signed the cheque

Total cost was $2350 in 1995 dollars ($135,000 today!)

The 20-year Citadel shingles lasted 15 years

I want a more durable roof this time ‘round.

And I want it to be my last one before I leave my current home and move into a small apartment over a coffee shop/hardware store in Wortley Village in 2035.

So, I’m prepared to spend more money, 2010 dollars, this time around.

(I have similar feelings about paying more for hydro - via solar panel and wind turbine supplements - in order to have a healthier future. I bet you feel the same, eh).

I’ve got one estimate for metal ($12,500 - I’ve been told that’s not bad) and am waiting for another for 40-year architectural shingles.

Colour - something that matches my eyes (hazel) and the colour of the house (light-blue).


Though I’m still paying off the recent house reno I feel the roof falls under the headings ‘absolutely necessary before winter sets in’ and ‘manageable debt.’

It has also been on my wife’s to-do list for several months and I think I’ve scored big points by getting the job done. (Almost).

***

A second metal roof company has not returned my call to set up an appointment to provide an estimate.

Do you know about a reputable roofer? Let me know.

.

2 comments:

Lost Motorcyclist said...

Last year, we had a metal roof put on by Hy-Grade. I can't tell you how long it will last, but most people ask us "Why would you put a roof that will outlive you?" My answer: "Lots of things in our house are going to outlive us, like the bricks, the windows, the wiring etc. I don't worry about it."

G. Harrison said...

Three people on my block have a Hy-Grade roof and are pretty happy w the look and price. They are my last call for an estimate.

Wouldn't our resale value be better w a metal roof? I lean toward 'yes' as an answer.

Cheers,

GH